Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Victorinox Forester SAK Review



The Victorinox Forester SAK

Victorinox has a highly-functional lock-blade design in its larger folding knives. Cutting out the clutter of redundant blades, nail files, magnifying glasses and other such non-essentials, the Forester knife is left with a fairly long, very sharp single usable blade, a small saw, a corkscrew, awl, can opener, bottle opener, and slotted screwdriver (and, of course, the ubiquitous toothpick and tweezers, which I might add are handier than you would think).

The large, articulated handle grips firmly in your hand and the locking blade ensures it won't cost you your fingers by accidentally closing during use. The long straight blade is, in my opinion, more useful for everyday camping & hiking - slicing food, general cutting, whittling, etc., than the shorter usually curved blades of most sport knives (most of which are derived from hunting knife designs). Unless you're rock climbing or river rafting (for which a single-hand operated opening blade would be preferred), this is probably all the knife you'll ever need on the trail. The Forester is a trusty no-nonsense outdoor companion.

The Victorinox Forester was my first SAK. I have kept and used it for 12 years now. I liked the green color as it looked different from the regular dark red ones (even cheap "Made in China" comes in the same color). I have used this SAK in the worst of times, especially when I required the professional tools to deal with the problem. I must add that the quality of the Victorinox have always surprised me, because I have never seen any single piece of tool taking so much abuse and still working as new. People like me (those who are using SAKs for years) will agree that even after five years of use and abuse the big locking knife still cuts like the new one, the sharpness of wood-saw, the cork-screw, and the can opener just functions without flaw.

It's a great investment for a long time use.

No comments:

Post a Comment