Sunday, April 25, 2010

Coleman Exponent Multifuel Stove Review


I just love this stove and can't praise it enough. I bought mine some years ago after reading a rave review in Backpacker magazine. I used it mainly for extended backpacking. I have used this stove heavily over the years and it has performed flawlessly, reliably, and impressively.

The fuel economy is amazing and is the key to this stove. One tank of lighter fluid (10.3 oz.) is rated for 1 hour 23 minutes burn time at full blast and 7 hours on simmer! You probably won't ever have to use it at full blast, as the flame spread is quite big at that setting (with a pot on the burner). Even with a large one gallon pot I didn't have to use it at anywhere near full blast; I usually only use it at about halfway between simmer and full blast. The flame adjustability is excellent too; no problem to simmer. The photo on the left shows the stove getting it on with my quesadilla, I burnt one side 'coz I wasn't paying attention. Har har!
I have only used lighter fluid with this so I can't comment on its kerosene/petrol performance. Lighter fluid is a clean fuel compared to kerosene and petrol, and in my opinion, is cleaner and better than white gas. Although it wouldn't reach temperatures (BTUs) as that of white gas, but hey, your stove will last longer.

The stove has been absolutely bombproof. I haven't performed ANY maintenance on it at all. Every time I see someone with a Whisperlite, it seems like they are always having to make repairs or trying to clean the jets in order to get it going again. I have even let my Coleman sit around with old gas in it for long periods of time (not recommended) with no problems at the next lighting. I do recommend that you oil the pump cup every now and again.

Lighting this stove is easy - just pump and light - no priming required. It takes a minute or two to go from the initial high yellow flame to the tight blue cooking flame as it "self primes". Lighting a Whisperlite is a minor ordeal, sometimes major.

The stove noise is only moderate; not nearly as loud as a Whisperlite.The integrated windscreen works pretty well. In high winds though you should still use a separate windscreen to save on gas and boil times (use caution if you do this so you do not overheat the gas tank - it should never be hot to the touch).
I own many different backpacking stoves; but would probably keep this if only allowed to own one. Another key feature are is the levelling ring that lets you cook even on rugged terrain. I highly recommend getting this stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment